Monday, December 28, 2015

Who's Following Who?

"The Lord went ahead of them. He guided them during the day with a pillar of cloud, and he provided light at night with a pillar of fire. This allowed them to travel by day or by night."  --Exodus 13:21

 

I have been exercising.  My  routine has become rising extra early in the morning to get in some time on the treadmill.  But I felt I needed a little variety. So, I went to a kickboxing class.  In the class there is an instructor calling out instructions.  Each time there's a different movement, just before the change, she would yell out the instructions.  Now, I was unfamiliar with the routine so her instructions were vital to me.  I wouldn't dream of joining her and yelling out my own instructions, or breaking off and doing my own routine.  The result would be chaos.  Why come to her class if I'm going to do my own thing?  And so it is with Jesus.  What is the point of following my OWN path if I say I'm a follower of Jesus Christ?  Jesus provided the pillar of cloud by day, and the fire by night for the Israelites as a symbol of His presence, but also as a guide for them to follow.  The Word says, "He guided them".

 

Jesus Christ, the Shepherd is ever present, leading and guiding us, His sheep. But we cannot be led by Him if we run out ahead and follow our own instructions.  If we're going to go off and do our own thing, the question is who's following who?  John 10:27 says, "My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me."

 

In this Christian life we're not playing follow the leader, because in that game, the leader changes constantly.  Instead, we are relinquishing control . . . leadership . . . guidance to the ruler of the universe . . . Jesus Christ, the good Shepherd.  So, I ask you the question, Who's following who?

No comments:

Post a Comment