Monday, December 21, 2015

"What Are You Willing to Give Up?"


What are You Willing to Give Up?
“Some time later God tested Abraham.  He said to him, “Abraham!”  “Here I am,” he replied.  Then God said, “Take your son, your only son, whom you love – Issac – and go to the region of Moriah.  Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on a mountain I will show you.”
-- Genesis 22:1-2

I teach a Bible Study class for ages 3-6.  We were learning the story of Abraham being tested.  Abraham and Sarah had been barren for years.  The Lord had promised them a child, but now they were old in age.  Even though the angel appeared to Abraham confirming the promise, they were still doubtful.  True to His word, the God gave them the child He had promised.  Now, the Lord is asking Abraham to sacrifice the child he had waited for many years.  As an illustration, I asked my students to bring their favorite toy to class.  As we discussed the lesson, I asked them if they would be willing to give up their favorite toy if God asked them to, never being able to play with it again.  Initially, as expected, they were apprehensive.  I could see the wheels turning in their heads as they thought about it.  I kept stressing, ‘you won’t be able to play with it ever again.’  After much discussion and lots of questions, they eventually agreed to give up their favorite toy for God.  That illustration got me thinking, what am I willing to give up for God?  What things am I holding on to that affect my relationship with God?

As we approach a new year, now would be a great time to evaluate some things:

1.     Do I have any habits or activities that are unpleasing to God?

2.     Do my actions and speech line up with the Word of God?

3.     Is the amount of time I spend in meditation and reading God’s Word sufficient?

4.     What am I willing to give up to be closer to God?
Margaret Slaughter

No comments:

Post a Comment