Monday, November 23, 2015

Who's In Control?


Who’s In Control?
“In his hand is the life of every living thing and the breath of all mankind.” –Job 12:10

 

Recently, I visited a new car wash.  You pull into the cashier line, select your car wash from several different options, and pay.  Once I paid, I was instructed to wait in line until the wash is ready.  No rushing, because the automatic arm prevents you from going until it’s my time.  As I pull up to the wash, there’s a person signaling me to pull forward.  Now, I’ve reached the wash and I’m instructed to put my car in neutral and not hit the brakes.  Here’s where it gets uncomfortable.  I am right on the bumper of the car in front of me.  When I actually enter the wash, I cannot see in front, back or side of me because of all the wash strips.  It makes me nervous because I know the car in front of me is just inches away and I’ve been instructed not to brake.  I was tempted to brake a few times.  My car is moving, but I’m not in control.  This made me think, is this symbolic of my relationship with Christ?  The need to be in control?  The desire to brake when things are too close or uncomfortable? 

 

Isaiah 14:24 says, “The Lord of hosts has sworn: ‘As I have planned, so shall it be, and as I have purposed, so shall it stand.”  Even when we don’t know what lies ahead, God does.  But do we really trust that?  I know I’ve been guilty of not trusting God’s plan.  I like knowing details.  What’s coming next.  Well, news flash!  God does not have to report to me.  In God’s Word, He tells us over 365 times, ‘Fear not’.  That’s a daily reminder that God has it all under control!

 

If God’s Word is true, and I do believe that it is, then I should stand on Numbers 23:19 NLT, “God is not a man, so he does not lie.  He is not human, so he does not change his mind.  Has he ever spoken and failed to act?  Has he ever promised and not carried it through?”

 

Will I continue to struggle with the need to control every aspect of my life?  Maybe.  But if I stay in God’s Word and stay prayerful, giving over control to an all knowing, all seeing, all powerful God will become easier.

Margaret Slaughter

No comments:

Post a Comment