Monday, November 16, 2015

Recognizing Jesus


Recognizing Jesus


A couple of years ago I had to get a second opinion mammogram.  As I’m sitting there, half clothed and talking to God, I hear, ‘Margaret!”  I look up and there is a woman that I do not recognize at all.  She starts talking to me, and says she remembers me from elementary school.  Elementary school?  During the conversation I realize she really does know me, but I still did not recognize her.  How many times have you not recognized God?

Remember Samuel?  The boy whom his mother, Hannah had prayed so hard for that Eli the priest thought she was drunk.  Hannah promised the Lord if He would give her a son, she would give him back to Him. (1Samuel, Chapter 1)

Fulfilling the vow to the Lord, Hannah turned Samuel over to Eli the priest so that he could serve the Lord, and assist Eli (1Samuel, Chapter 2).  During this time, “messages from the Lord were very rare, and visions were quite uncommon.” But our Lord is not a common kind of Lord!  One night as Eli and Samuel were sleeping, the Lord called Samuel.  Not recognizing the Lord, Samuel ran to Eli and said “here I am, did you call me?” (1Samuel, Chapter 3).  The Lord called Samuel two more times, without Samuel recognizing Him.  On the third time, Eli had to tell Samuel it was the LORD calling him.

How many times has the LORD called you, and you did not recognize Him?  Suppose Samuel had missed the call of the LORD?  All the messages for the people of Israel would  have never been delivered.  How many missions, messages, blessings have been missed because of our failure to recognize the LORD?

In the 10th Chapter of John, when Jesus identified Himself as the Son of God, the people questioned, “How long are you going to keep us in suspense?  If you are the Messiah, tell us plainly.”  Jesus’ reply is important for us to remember, “I have already told you, and you don’t believe me.  The proof is the work I do in my Father’s name.  But you don’t believe me because you are not my sheep.  My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.”

Let’s not miss our assignment. Spend time with the Lord so that you recognize His voice, and follow Him.
Missionary Margaret Slaughter

No comments:

Post a Comment