Monday, November 30, 2015

There's a Thin Line Between Demands and Prayers


There’s a Thin Line Between Demands and Prayers

“Lord, teach us to pray.” –Luke 11:1
 
I was watching a sermon by Andy Stanley titled, ‘Our Father’.  In the sermon, Pastor Stanley talks about our approach to prayer.  While watching the sermon, the Lord revealed to me that I’ve been imposing my will during prayer time, and not his His will.  Wow!  That blew me back a few steps.  I’m spending time in His presence, writing in my prayer journal, set up a quiet space like everyone says.  Going through all the right motions, only to find out I’m doing it all wrong.  Now what do I do?  Go back to the drawing board as they say. 

Instead of, ‘Lord, do You see this, and I need You to do this to fix this situation’, try, ‘Lord, You are sovereign.  You know all, and You see all.  Nothing takes You by surprise.  I trust You to fix this situation how You see fit.  Your will, Lord, not my will.”  The purpose of prayer is to surrender our will, not impose it.

When the Lord prayed, He surrendered His will to His Father.  During the most difficult time in His life, when He knew what lie ahead for Him, Jesus surrendered His will.  In Matthew 26:42 as Jesus was praying, He said, “My Father! If this cup cannot be taken away unless I drink it, your will be done.”  Jesus surrendered His will, even though He knew it meant giving up His life. 

Surrendering your will for God’s will may put you in an uncomfortable place, but what better place to be but in His will.

Margaret Slaughter

No comments:

Post a Comment