Monday, March 7, 2016

Stay Alert!


“Stay alert!  Watch out for your great enemy, the devil.  He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour.  Stand firm against him, and be strong in your faith.  Remember that your family of believers all over the world is going through the same kind of suffering you are.”

1 Peter 5:8-9 NLT
 

 
Stay Alert!

As I write this, I am observing a 21 day fast.  During one of my devotional times, the Lord revealed some things to me.  One day during the fast, I was wrestling and rationalizing with myself over what was ‘ok to eat’ on the list of acceptable foods for the fast.  I had to chuckle at myself because I realized you can rationalize almost anything if you work long and hard enough.  Then the Lord revealed to me that’s how easily sin creeps in and takes over before you know it.  First, it starts out as one little ‘white lie’.  And before you know it you’re asking yourself, ‘how did I get here?’.  Little by little.
 
1 Peter 5:8 tells you to ‘Stay alert!’.  Some versions say, ‘Discipline yourselves’.  No matter what version of the scripture you use, the message is clear, always be on guard.  In Genesis 4:7, the Lord says to Cain, “You will be accepted if you do what is right.  But if you refuse to do what is right, then watch out! Sin is crouching at the door, eager to control you.  But you must subdue it and be its master.”

But here is the good news . . . God never leaves us alone.  He’s ever present, willing to help us . . . if we want it.  1 Corinthians 10:13 put it this way, “No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind.  And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear.  But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.”  So whenever you rationalize yourself into a tight spot, look to the Lord for your escape plan.
Margaret Slaughter

No comments:

Post a Comment