Monday, March 14, 2016

I Am My Brother's Keeper


“When I am with those who are weak, I share their weakness, for I want to bring the weak to Christ.  Yes, I try to find common ground with everyone, doing everything I can to save some.  I do everything to spread the Good News and share in its blessings.”
1 Corinthians 9:22

 

I Am My Brother’s Keeper

I was driving along Interstate 270 recently and noticed a flock of birds flying in ‘V’ formation.  I was curious.  Why do they fly that way?  So I did what we all do when we want to find out something.  I googled it.

The ‘V’ formation is thought to give the birds behind an aerodynamic advantage.  The birds in the rear of the ‘V’ formation are able to get an extra lift from the bird ahead of it from the ‘downwash’ or flapping of the birds’ wings in front of it.  In essence, the birds are constantly working together.

What if we as Christians operated on this same system?  Instead of shunning or criticizing our brothers and sisters that are new (or old) Christians, or weaker in their faith, we would gird (encircle) them in prayer.  Helping them if necessary.

Romans 15:1-3a says, “We who are strong must be considerate of those who are sensitive about things like this.  We must not please ourselves.  We should help others do what is right and build them up in the Lord.  For even Christ didn’t live to please himself.”  So I ask you ‘are you your brother’s keeper?’

Margaret Slaughter

No comments:

Post a Comment