Monday, September 7, 2015

Porcupine Christian


If given the chance, would you cuddle with a porcupine? Probably not.  According to National Geographic, when other animals have an encounter with a porcupine, they come away with quills protruding from their own snouts or bodies. I imagine that is pretty painful. How do our fellow brothers and sisters, or non-believers, feel after an encounter with us?  What is it like to be on the receiving end of you?

 
 
When you look in the mirror, do you see this expression looking back at you . . . 
 
Ask yourself these questions:
Who am I reflecting?
What does my speech reflect?
What does my demeanor say to others?
How does the world see me?
Am I a ‘Porcupine Christian’?

Or maybe you regularly encounter a Porcupine Christian. How do you react to them?  Ask yourself this: “How is this person holding up the mirror to me?”  What does dealing with the Porcupine reveal about me (irritability, impatience, sharp-tongue)?

All of us are subject to bouts of less than Christian behavior every now and then. We are human. We are not perfect. But we must take responsibility for our attitudes and our actions.

Employees of Chik-Fil-A are trained to say “It’s my pleasure”! As followers of Christ, we should be able to reflect, “It’s my pleasure!” as we serve God and others.

Remember the joy and excitement you had as a new convert? Wouldn’t you love to get that back?  Reorganize and re-attitude your speech, your demeanor, and your interactions with others. When I find myself slipping into less than Christian behavior, I pray Psalm 51:10-12 “Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit to sustain me.”

Are you attracting others to God, or telling them to ‘back off’? As believers, we are charged to spread the Gospel. Remember, Gospel means GOOD NEWS!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment