Monday, January 9, 2017

Fresh Start by Margaret Slaughter


Fresh Start
“God, make a fresh start in me, shape a Genesis week from the chaos of my life.  Don’t throw me out with the trash, or fail to breathe holiness in me.  Bring me back from gray exile, put a fresh wind in my sails!” –Psalm 51:10-12 MSG

We’ve made it through the first week of 2017 and lots of people are making New Year resolutions, making declarations of ‘new year, new me’.  I’ve seen some criticism of this philosophy.  People are asking why do you have to wait until the New Year to make a change?  Well, there’s something to be said about re-evaluation and goal-setting that helps one stay focused.  If you never re-evaluate or re-focus, how do you know how far you’ve come?  Or where you need to go?

In our subject scripture, David is pleading with the Lord to wipe his slate clean, and give him a fresh start.  In verse three David acknowledges, “I know how bad I’ve been; my sins are staring me down.”  Have you ever heard the old saying, ‘admission is the first step to recovery’?  Fresh start!

“Going through the motions doesn’t please you, a flawless performance is nothing to you.  I learned God-worship when my pride was shattered.  Heart-shattered lives (repentant) ready for love don’t for a moment escape God’s notice.” (verses 16-17 MSG)

The Lord does not desire what ‘looks good’, but what is good, inside and out.  The only way to do that is ‘new year, new me’.  As we embark on this New Year, let’s follow David’s example and take the time to examine, re-evaluate, and re-focus ourselves and become the best ‘you’ God created you to be!
Margaret Slaughter

No comments:

Post a Comment