Monday, September 19, 2016

"Man in the Mirror" - by Margaret Slaughter


Image result for man in the mirror clip art
“My grace is all you need.  My power works best in weakness.  So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me.”  --2 Corinthians 12:9 

In the late 80’s Michael Jackson had a hit song titled, Man in the Mirror.  The song starts, “I’m gonna make a change for once in my life.  It’s gonna feel real good, gonna make a difference, gonna make it right.” 

Many times I’ve felt like the beginning lyrics of the song.  I set a goal, I’m pumped and excited, and after a few weeks I self-sabotage and never reach the goal.  Ever heard the old saying, ‘you are your own worst enemy’?  Well, I’ve recently come to the realization that ‘I’ am the barrier to me reaching my goals. 

Image result for self sabotage

Now that I’ve admitted the problem, I’m moving toward the chorus of the song, “I’m starting with the man in the mirror, I’m asking him to change his ways.  And no message could have been any clearer.  If you wanna make the world a better place take a look at yourself and then make a change.”  How do I plan to do that? Through the power of Christ.  Philippians 4:13 tells me, “I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.” (Philippians 4:13).  My subject scripture tells me Christ’s power works best in my weakness.  I’ve identified the weakness, now I must surrender, and let Christ help me quickly recognize when I’m tempted to self-sabotage.  I can do it with His help, His Word tells me so.

Margaret Slaughter

No comments:

Post a Comment