Monday, August 1, 2016

Let Go of the Back-Up Plan

 
Image result for no backup plan clip art
“Now Sarai, Abram’s wife, had not been able to bear children for him. But she had an Egyptian servant named Hagar.  So Sarai said to Abram, ‘The Lord has prevented me from having children.  Go and sleep with my servant.  Perhaps I can have children through her.’  And Abram agreed with Sarai’s proposal.” –Genesis 16:12


I’m sure we can all say the Lord has promised us some things.  However, if the promise doesn’t come to pass as quickly as we think it should, we feel the need to help the Lord out.  ‘Ok, Lord, I know you said you would do it, but . . .’  Stop messing in the Lord’s business, and get rid of the back-up plan.  If He said it, He will do it.

In Genesis Chapter 15, the Lord made Abram a promise: “But Abram replied, ‘O Sovereign Lord, what good are all your blessings when I don’t even have a son?  Since you’ve given me no children, Eliezer of Damascus, a servant in my household, will inherit all my wealth.  You have given me no descendents of my own, so one of my servants will be my heir.’  Then the Lord said to him, ‘No your servant will not be your heir, for you will have a son of your own who will be your heir.’  Then the Lord took Abram outside and said to him, ‘Look up into the sky and count the stars if you can.  That’s how many descendants you will have!”   Nowhere in this promise did the Lord say, ‘if it doesn’t happen in a year or two, feel free to help me out’.   Just one chapter later, his wife Sarai decides to implement the back-up plan.  Abram knew what the Lord had promised, but he willingly participated in the back-up plan.  Whenever we meddle in the Lord’s business, we alter His blessings for us.  The back-up plan caused dissension in Abram’s household, forcing him to banish his first born child. 

How do we know the Lord’s promises will come to pass?  Because His Word says so.  “God is not a man, that He should lie, nor a son of man, that He should repent.  Has He said, and will He not do it?  Or has He spoken and will He not make it good and fulfill it?” (Numbers 23:19)  So, let go of the back-up plan, and let the Lord complete what He has promised.
Margaret Slaughter


No comments:

Post a Comment