Monday, February 22, 2016

"Wait on the Promise"


Wait on the Promise
“So Sarai said to Abram, “The Lord has prevented me from having children.  Go and sleep with my servant. Perhaps I can have children through her.”  And Abram agreed with Sarai’s proposal. 
-- Genesis 16:2
Abram and Sarai are a perfect example of failing to wait on God's promise.  What promise?    The promise found in Genesis 15:2-6 “But Abram replied, “O Sovereign Lord, what good are all your blessings when I don’t even have a son? Since you’ve given me no children, Eliezer of Damascus, a servant in my household, will inherit all my wealth. You have given me no descendants of my own, so one of my servants will be my heir.” Then the Lord said to him, “No, your servant will not be your heir, for you will have a son of your own who will be your heir.” Then the Lord took Abram outside and said to him, “Look up into the sky and count the stars if you can. That’s how many descendants you will have!” And Abram believed the Lord, and the Lord counted him as righteous because of his faith.

Ten years later in Genesis Chapter 16, God's promise still had not come to pass. In verse 2 Sarai decides to take matters into her own hands. Of course, her impatience resulted in confusion, and altering God's divine timing, and the benefits of His promise for her and Abram's descendants. How many times have you taken matters into your own hands, getting ahead of God's timing? Refusing to wait on the promise?

If we operate in faith, and don't get ahead of God and His timing, Psalm 89:33-34 reassures us, "But I will never stop loving him nor fail to keep my promise to him. No, I will not break my covenant; I will not take back a single word I said."

Remember, God is not a man that He should lie, so if He said it, He will surely bring it to pass. Have faith, and wait on the promise!

Margaret Slaughter

No comments:

Post a Comment